ADS! Obtain N300,000 Cash Grant for your Education => APPLY NOW
Score 370 in JAMB Now with CBT EXPO Software
Apply Now For British Council Recruitment for Graduate Finance Officers.
The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another.
We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
British Council is recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reports to: Assistant Finance Manager
Pay Band: 4
Directorate or Region: SSA
Duration of job: Indefinite
Purpose of job
- To support the delivery of the financial and business processes and systems in line with corporate standards
- The post holder will undertake specific work within Finance to contribute to the development of British Council Nigeria as an innovative and high performing country operation, modelling the values and principles of a collaborative, integrated and mutually supportive team
Context and Environment
- The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international non-profit organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. For over 75 years, we have created international opportunities and trust between people of the UK and other countries worldwide through our work in the Arts, English, Education and Society. We call this Cultural Relations. We have offices in over 100 countries, and 250 cities. In Nigeria, we have 4 offices in 4 locations with over 150 members of staff. Nigeria is one of the largest economies in Africa. It is also the most populous country with over 170 million citizens
- We are already achieving substantial impact and income (current turnover is £19.8 million) and have plans to grow and develop our impact further. Partners and clients include government, public and private institutions, foundations, private sector organisations and civil society. We work closely with the wider UK team including DFID and UKTI.
- The Finance function is an integral part of Business Support Services team.
- The Finance Officer will make contributions to the successful management of Finance by carrying out specific day to day Finance duties as well as providing vital support to other team members.
- This post is instrumental in ensuring that Finance procedures and policies are adhered to and that operational teams are supported to embed these within their business as usual processes.
- The British Council’s values are integrity, professionalism, creativity, valuing people and mutuality; and these are embedded in all our work.
- The UK is its largest trading partner Nigeria holds significant political power in the region and internationally and its society retains a positive attitude to the UK. There are therefore major opportunities for the UK and BC to increase influence, income and, through this, our impact by building on our strong existing relationships with the Nigerian government, institutions and customers/audiences. However, there are complex and substantial risks to this work i.e. security and compliance
- Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in sub-Saharan Africa with office in 4 cities – Port Harcourt in the south, Kano in the north, Abuja the Federal capital and Lagos the commercial centre. Our 150 staff works across a range of states delivering large scale contracts, partnership programmes examinations, projects as well as services in Arts, Education & Society and English & Exams
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties
Income Recognition/Banking & Treasury:
- To ensure all over the counter income is banked in line with relevant policy and parked and posted on SAP Cash Journals immediately after being banked.
- To ensure appropriate procedures are adhered to when income is received and to bank all income within 2 days of receipt or immediately threshold of cash holding is attained.
- Ensure all relevant Cash Journals are balanced within 48 hours of banking being completed.
- Ensure all delegated banking activities are diligently carried out.
Procurement & Payables:
- To carry due diligence on all vendor invoices prior to scanning to Global Service Desk (GSD)
- Ensure all invoices are checked within 24 hours of receipt and scanned within 48 hours; thus contributing to significant reduction of Open Purchase Orders and late payment to vendors.
- To escalate promptly any issues around invoice processing to relevant teams and follow up with GSD as appropriate for delayed payments.
- Ensure that scanned invoices are backed up on the Finance shared drive.
- Assist in processing off-system (non-P2P) payments after being authorised by Country Director or someone with delegated authority and ensure all off-system payments are recorded on SAP in the month of payment.
Vendor & Customer Creation:
- Support the Assistant Finance Manager to ensure that all potential vendors are first registered on Approved Supplier List (ASL) before submitting request for registration on SAP.
- Update the Vendor and Customer Master Database with every new creation/amendment of vendor and customer respectively.
- Ensure amendments of existing vendors and customers on SAP are done according to laid down procedures.
- Support the Assistant Finance Manager to carry out due diligence for each vendor or customer creation request in line with agreed procedure before being reflected on SAP.
- Maintain a backup of all scanned supporting documentation of vendor and customer creation on Finance shared drive.
- Participate in monthly review of Year to Date balances of Trial Balance and to ensure that Month on Month movements have been analysed and exceptional movements investigated and explained or escalated as appropriate.
- Participate in the preparation for internal audit and tax audit exercises; ensuring that all relevant files and documents are in place for smooth running of these audits.
- Support the Finance Manager and Assistant Finance Manager in the delivery financial objectives and the management of financial risks of British Council Nigeria.
- Contribute to accurate financial information by ensuring that all journals including corrective/adjustment journals are parked and posted before month end.
Payroll and Compliance with Tax Laws:
- Support in the monthly preparation of payroll ensuring that staff salaries and employee related recovery and payments are completed and duly authorised according to agreed timeline.
- Assist in ensuring that payroll deductions relating to PAYE, Pension, NASA, Development Levy, etc are duly remitted to appropriate accounts and authorities within agreed timeline.
- Ensure Withholding Tax deductions for BC office for each month is remitted before the end of the following month.
- Timely provision of financial advice and support to other colleagues to enable them manage their delegated finances and comply with BC audit standards.
- Facilitating Finance workshops for new and existing colleagues on the best practices on SAP and finance processes.
- Finance Manager and Assistant Finance Manager
- All Finance/resources team members
- All British Council Nigeria staff
- British Council Vendors and Customers.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was interesting right, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, Twitter or Google+.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
=> FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK & TWITTER FOR LATEST UPDATES
ADS: KNOCK-OFF DIABETES IN JUST 60 DAYS! – ORDER YOURS HERE
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Tags: Abuja Jobs, British Council, OND/HND/BSC Jobs