ADS! Obtain N300,000 Cash Grant for your Education => APPLY NOW
Score 370 in JAMB Now with CBT EXPO Software
British Council Nigeria Recruitment 2023 | www.britishcouncil.org.ng.
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body
We are recruiting to fill the below position below:
1. Job Title: Operations Manager – Kano Literacy and Mathematics Accelerator (KaLMA)
Role Type: Business Delivery
Pay Band: 6
Duration: Fixed Term, Until 31 December 2023 with possibility for renewal subject to donor funding
Reports to: KaLMA Team Lead
- This is a fixed term role to support delivery of the Kano Literacy and Mathematics Accelerator (KaLMA) project
- The post holder will support the development, delivery and oversight of programme support processes including procurement, human resources (consultants), logistics, estates and security, assets and inventory management, administration, knowledge management, finance and budget management.
Nigeria is one of the largest economies in Africa. It is also the most populous country with over 190 million citizens. Nigeria holds significant political power in the region and internationally and its society retains a positive attitude to the UK. There are therefore major opportunities for the UK to increase influence, funding sources and, through this, our impact by building on our strong existing relationships with the Nigerian government, private and civil society institutions and customers/audiences
However, there are complex and substantial risks to this work like security and compliance. North West Nigeria faces a perennial problem of low learning outcomes. Data from the Nigeria Education Data Survey 2015 and the Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) Composite Survey 2012 and 2016 indicate not only low attainments in literacy and numeracy but also declining trends. The ESSPIN Composite Survey 3 Gender and Inclusion Report, 2016 also points to gender gaps in learning outcomes, with boys significantly outperforming girls on all tests except P2 numeracy.
KaLMA aims to build foundational Hausa and English literacy and numeracy skills for primary 4 (P4) to primary 6 (P6) children using the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) approach, equipping them with foundational literacy and numeracy skills before they leave primary school. KaLMA is a partnership between the British Council and TaRL Africa. TaRL Africa is a newly formalised partnership between Education NGO Pratham, and research centre J-PAL, who have been working together developing cost-effective, scaleable literacy and numeracy interventions for more than 15 years. The fruits of these efforts have been the development of what we now refer to as the TaRL approach.
The KaLMA project will be delivered in all 240 public primary schools in Wudil and Dawakin Tofa LGAs of Kano State. KaLMA will target all P4-6 children (23,559 in Dawakin Tofu and 28,152 in Wudil) and teachers (approximately 256 in Dawakin Tofa and 418 in Wudil). We have purposefully chosen to pilot in all schools so that we develop and learn about models which can be easily replicated and scaled across Kano and other North Western states.
Implementation of KaLMA is expected to begin in September 2023 and a fixed term employee contract for this post will be issued only after the contract with the donor is signed. The British Council reserves the right to withdraw this post at any time until the employment contract is signed.
Main Opportunities/Challenges for this Role
- This role will work closely with the KaLMA Team Lead to support the implementation of the project and provide assurance of compliance with British Council and donor project delivery standards
- The Nigerian context is generally challenging, having poor infrastructure and currently facing a volatile security situation
- There is still a significant reliance on the cash economy, corruption is high and the regulatory and compliance structures that exist are highly ineffective
- This makes Nigeria a very challenging environment in which to deliver programmes. The post holder must therefore have the ability to work in an ambiguous and difficult environment in which British Council processes need to be adapted or developed to cope with unusual requirements and difficult context
- S/he will work closely with the programme delivery and management teams as well as having significant interactions with the technical teams and Nigerian partners.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage project activity to agreed contractual terms of reference, timelines, costs, targets and established performance indicators • Manage project events’ financial elements in accordance with agreed project
- Accountable for the successful delivery of programme management systems, processes and key strategies ensuring that donor, programme and corporate standards are met
- Accountable for effective management of project logistics including assurance of end-to-end journey management planning for consultants and out of state staff in line with British Council policies
- Work with the designated Child Protection Focal Point to ensure compliance with donor and British Council child protection and safeguarding policies
- Support effective identification and management of a range of geo-political and operational risks and make appropriate recommendations for changes to delivery workplans and resources necessary to mitigate potential difficulties and optimise performance
- Develop and manage relationship with project delivery partners, contractors and suppliers.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was interesting right, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, Twitter or Google+.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
=> FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK & TWITTER FOR LATEST UPDATES
ADS: KNOCK-OFF DIABETES IN JUST 60 DAYS! – ORDER YOURS HERE
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.