ADS! Obtain Up to N300,000 Cash in the 2023 Aspire Contest
How to Write An Application Letter for A Job With Ease.
Job Application: Job application forms are actually the first crucial step to getting a job interview. This step-by-step guide will explain explicitly how to give employers the information they need to put you on the shortlist.
Applying for jobs can be a really stressful process, so you likely want to do anything you can to increase your chances of success. Fortunately, there are tips and techniques you can use to make your resume, cover letter, and application stand out from the other candidates.
While you might have to send out several applications before you find the right job for you, try not to lose hope because new jobs are popping up every day. With your hard work and dedication, you can get an employer’s attention and secure an exciting job opportunity.
How Can You Define an Application Letter?
A job application letter is a formal document that is sent to a prospective employer to express your interest in a position. An application letter is usually sent alone and not attached alongside another document
Most times, an application letter is not sent after you must have seen an advertised position but sent whether or not a vacancy was advertised. The application letter serves a purpose that is similar to that of the CV.
Right Time to Write An Application Letter.
Yes, it is true that you should write an application letter when you are interested in a job, but that is not all you consider before you decide to write an application letter.
When you see a job advert that you are interested in, you send your CV and cover letter, right? But this does not quite work for application letters. Employers will not replace the CV and cover letter with an application letter.
The approach of an application letter is different from the CV and the cover letter. You should write an application letter when the employer does not solicit your interest in the position. This simply means when there is no job advertisement or posting.
For example, if you are searching for a job and you have a list of top companies that you would love to work for, you don’t necessarily have to wait for a job posting to declare your interest in that particular job. You can simply email an application to different companies.
This is a way for you to extensively and formally introduce yourself to the prospective employer of the companies that you would love to work for.
Why Should I Write an Application Letter?
Just like we have discussed earlier, there are many reasons why people write application letters. If you are actively searching for a job, then this is why you should consider writing an application letter:
- It serves as a formal introduction between you and your prospective employer.
- It can help you access hidden jobs.
- It can help you to be a step ahead of other job seekers.
- It puts you in a less competitive circle in comparison with what happens when jobs are advertised with thousands of applicants showing interest.
- It can help you boycott the process of applying for a job online, writing a resume letter because most times application letters stand alone.
What You Should Include On Application Form
The application form should make the employer want to meet you to find out more and demonstrate your skills. Typical sections of an application form include:
- Personal information – give basic details, such as name and email address.
- Educational background – provide information on your academic achievements, including the institutions you’ve attended, courses taken and qualifications gained.
- Work experience – list your employment history and describe your main duties and responsibilities in each role, emphasizing those most closely related to the job you’re applying for.
- Competency-based questions – give specific examples of times when you’ve demonstrated the skills required for the role. Avoid being vague, and don’t waste space writing about skills you have that aren’t relevant – see example questions and answers for help.
- Personal statement – write a well-structured, well-argued case that you are the right person for the job, again referring to the person specification set out in the advert.
Don’t be afraid to sell yourself. Demonstrate your passion for the company or job and any past achievements you can relate to the role. When writing your answers, always consider what skills employers want and how you can show that you have them.
Most application forms will also require you to provide details of at least two people who can provide references. You may sometimes be asked to attach a CV and cover letter as well.
Never lie on your job application form. Not only is this dishonest, but there can be more serious consequences – for example, altering your classification from a 2:2 to a 2:1 is considered degree fraud and could result in a prison sentence.
Do’s and Don’ts of a Job Application Letter
Take care of the following do’s and don’ts while writing the job application letter:
- Apply early: You will have a better chance to grab the attention of the recruiter if you are an early applicant. Apply within 2-3 days of the job posting.
- Keep it short and sweet: Keep the job application email short. You don’t want to write your autobiography here.
- Double-check for mistakes: Always proofread the content before sending the email. Do not forget to check if you have attached the correct documents. You can use Grammarly to keep a check on spelling and grammatical errors.
- Keep it original: Do not copy-paste the content. Add a personal touch to the letter.
- Match it well: Each job application letter should be customized as per the job you are applying for.
- Use the professional email address: Make sure to use an email address that sounds professional. You can maintain a separate email account for job-related communication as it will help you keep a better track of the emails.
- Share contact details: Do not forget to mention your contact details such as mobile number, Skype Id, etc. at the end of your email.
Job Application Letter Template
As you are about to go get that job, first of all, consider the following template when planning your job application letter:
Your email address
Your phone number
Name of hiring manager or supervisor
Title of hiring manager or supervisor
Salutation [Dear Mr./Ms.],
Outline where you saw the job posting and express your interest in working in this role.
Discuss some of your qualifications that would make you a good fit for the job.
Describe your past experience in a way that emphasizes your personality and skills, while also showcasing how you align with the goals of the company.
Express your appreciation to the hiring manager for reviewing your letter. Include any follow-up information, if applicable.
Closing [Sincerely, Best]
Your name (printed)
Job Application Letter Example
Use this sample job application letter to help inspire you to write your own:
483 Apple Street
New York, NY 10001
September 15, 2023
901 Main Street
New York, NY 10001
Dear Ms. Jenkins,
I am reaching out to you regarding the posting for the human resources consultant position I found on Indeed.com. I have a great interest in this position and would appreciate your consideration as a candidate for the role.
In my previous experience, I worked in human resources departments to provide support across several different industries. I have worked in my current role as a human resources generalist for the past four years.
Prior to this job, I worked as a human resources assistant for two years, which shows my ability to advance in my career.
I have a strong passion for helping others, which is why I have found such fulfillment in human resources, providing support to my fellow employees and assisting them in ways that benefit them both personally and professionally.
I also enjoy looking for solutions to common HR problems, which I feel would be a great asset in the position with your company.
Since this consultant position works directly with multiple clients, assisting them in their human resources needs, I believe my innovative nature and strong skill set will help me succeed.
I have strong communication skills, which are vital to success in the HR field. I also have a bachelor’s degree in human resources from Arizona State University. Throughout my education, I worked with skilled human resources professionals who have shared their insights and experience with me.
Some of my strongest skills include my ability to increase employee retention through the improvement of company culture and to develop training and education programs to ensure all employees have access to the information they need to succeed and comply with legal requirements.
I appreciate your time in reviewing this letter and hope to hear from you in regard to the next steps in the hiring process. If you have any questions or need any additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Abia, Collins Vincent
Applying for jobs is a bit of a numbers game. The more jobs that you apply for, the more likely you are to get an interview, and the more interviews you attend, the more likely you are to get a job.
This is for two main reasons: first, you get better at identifying what jobs you could do and in presenting yourself well in the application, and second, you get better at interviewing.
Don’t be disheartened by a lack of success: just keep applying to ask for feedback on your applications, and your efforts should eventually meet with success. Help your friends too by sharing this article with them on their social media handles.
Join Over 3,500 000+ Readers Online Now!
=> FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK & TWITTER FOR LATEST UPDATES
ADS: KNOCK-OFF DIABETES IN JUST 60 DAYS! – ORDER YOURS HERE
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.